Friday, May 17, 2013

A "Pre-vivor"


I read this article while at work today. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it yet, but it's got me thinking.
http://universe.byu.edu/beta/2013/05/16/local-women-face-same-surgery-decision-as-angelina-jolie/

We do preventative care for lots of things. We get flu shots and other vaccines, we get our teeth cleaned and polished every 6 months, we go in to the Dr. for check ups every year (or, we should). So, really, you can view this as the same thing, just preventative care.

Obviously I don't think every woman should go out and get a double mastectomy just because they "might" get breast cancer. Angelina, and the other women mentioned in this article, tested positive for a particular gene that is likely to cause breast cancer. Can you blame them for wanted to avoid the awful horror of cancer? I can't.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks. Do you agree with their decision? Why or why not?

This isn't what I typically blog about, but this article really struck me.

1 comments:

Bbells said...

The only thing that bothers me about this while thing is that they called Angelina "brave" for doing it. First of all she didnt exatly cut her boobs off, she was able to salvage just about everything and get a boob job. so how hard is that?!?! bravery would be cutting them all off and having no implant and being poor on top of that. just sayin....

Post a Comment